Following up on the unfortunate development regarding Assemblywoman Victoria Seaman, who in less than one-half of one term in office has already “gone native” and now refuses to re-sign the Taxpayer Protection Pledge for her state senate run.
1.) Seaman says she shouldn’t need to sign “a piece of paper.” That we should just look at her record.
Or read her lips?
But in scrutinizing her record, it becomes clear that it’s even more important for Seaman to sign. Because despite being in the majority party – and, to her credit, voting against the largest tax hike in state history – she nevertheless voted for not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven, not eight…but NINE other bills that raised taxes or fees.
One can only image how Seaman would vote if the Democrats regain control of the Legislature and she’s no longer bound by her written Tax Pledge. Which is why we say, “In God we trust, all others should sign the Pledge.”
2.) The danger signs aren’t just that Seaman is now refusing to sign the Tax Pledge.
The problem is she seems to be distancing herself publicly from ANYTHING that might paint her as a conservative – not unlike the transformation we saw in Sen. Tax Hike Mike Roberson a couple years back.
In fact, not only is Seaman not signing the Tax Pledge, she’s also refused to sign onto the conservative “Contract with Nevada” platform that conservative Assemblyman Brent Jones developed.
Clearly Seaman has had a taste of the Carson City Kool-Aid and wants more.
Clearly she’s distancing herself publicly from the conservatives and conservatism that helped get her elected in the first place under the mistaken notion that she has to run to the middle to get elected to the Big Kids’ table in the Legislature.
And she just might get away from it.
Seaman is betting that conservatives have no place else to go.
If Republican Assemblyman Erv Nelson – who voted for the $1.4 billion tax hike – jumps in the race and primaries Seaman, many conservatives will certainly hold their nose and vote for her as the “lesser of two evils.”
Ditto in the general election against the Democrat candidate if Seaman wins the primary.
Seriously. You’re gonna see and hear some other conservatives come to Seaman’s defense on this, pointing to her generally conservative voting record last session, and saying we should trust her…especially if Nelson challenges her.
But with so many other deserving, proud, unapologetic conservative candidates running next year already, how many grassroots conservatives – who have been burned so badly so often by so many before – are going to be willing to go the extra mile and donate to Seaman’s campaign or walk door-to-door for her?
And how badly will that decided lack of enthusiasm for her campaign hurt her campaign?
Fortunately, the campaign season is still young.
So far Seaman is just flirting with the dark side. She hasn’t completely gone over yet. There’s still time for this prodigal daughter to come to her senses, summon up her “inner Reagan” and embrace openly the principled conservatism she claims to represent.
You can contact the Assemblywoman through her website. Click here
But remember, these politicians can rationalize anything. They can sell, as the saying goes, ice to Eskimos. Her explanations will sound “reasonable.” But the bottom line for conservatives is this…
If she won’t sign the Tax Pledge and the Contract with Nevada…Houston, we have a problem!
DON’T MISS “RIGHTOBERFEST!”
Please join me next week for Rightoberfest! – a Citizen Outreach mixer/happy hour.
Where: Mundo Restaurant in the World Market Center, downtown Las Vegas.
When: Tuesday, October 13, 2015. – ??? Pacific.
(Note: The date has been changed from an earlier notice saying it was on Monday the 12th – because Monday the 12th is Columbus Day and Columbus wasn’t German!)
Grab a table and order one of the best steaks you’ll find this side of the Rio Grande.
Plus German beer specials – at a Mexican restaurant!
(Who said conservatives don’t know how to do Hispanic outreach?!)
FREE admission. FREE parking.
Bring a guest – or two, or three. No RSVP needed.
Be there or be talked about!
2016 GOP “GANG OF 13” PRIMARIES
Here’s a list of the 13 RINO state Assemblymen (and one bonus RINO) who voted for the largest tax hike in Nevada’s history during the 2015 legislative session, along with the names of candidates expected to challenge them in GOP primaries in 2016.
If you have any information on additional challengers and/or the challenger’s campaign website address, please shoot the info to me for inclusion and updates to the list…
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assembly Speaker-of-the-Weak John Hambrick – District 2
- CHALLENGER: Kelly Hurst*
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman Erv Nelson – District 5
- CHALLENGER: Tony Baca
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman David Gardner – District 9
- CHALLENGER: Diana Orrock
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblywoman Melissa Woodbury – Clark
- CHALLENGER: Craig Mueller
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman Paul Anderson – District 13
- CHALLENGER: Leonard Foster*
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman Derek Armstrong-Anderson – District 21
- CHALLENGER: tbd
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman Pat “RINO” Hickey – District 25 (QUIT!)
- CHALLENGER: Jill Tolles
- CHALLENGER: Jennifer Terhune
- CHALLENGER: Kimberlie King-Patraw
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman Randy “Kirner Tax” Kirner – District 26 (QUIT!)
- CHALLENGER: Lisa Krasner
- CHALLENGER: Jason Guinasso
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman Stephen Silberkraus – District 29
- CHALLENGER: Amy Groves
- INCUMBENT RINO: Ass. James “The Big Selloutski” Oscarson – District 36
- CHALLENGER: Rusty Stanberry
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman Glenn Trowbridge – District 37
- CHALLENGER: Jim Marchant
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman P.K. O’Neill – District 40
- CHALLENGER: Kiran Hill
- INCUMBENT RINO: Assemblyman Lynn “The Bug Man” Stewart – District 42
- CHALLENGER: Richard Bunce
- BONUS INCUMBENT RINO: Ass. Chris “Let’s Make a Deal” Edwards** – District 19
- CHALLENGER: Connie Foust
* Asterisk indicates candidates who have signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge
** Candidate voted for the tax hike before voting against it
2016 RINO TAX-HIKING SENATE PRIMARIES
- INCUMBENT: Sen. Greg Brower (District 15) [QUIT!]
- ANOINTED RINO REPLACEMENT: Heidi Gansert
- CHALLENGER: tbd
- INCUMBENT: Sen. Mark Lipparelli (District 6) [QUIT!]
- CHALLENGER: Assemblywoman Victoria Seaman
- INCUMBENT: Sen. Scott Hammond (District 18)
- CHALLENGER: tbd
- INCUMBENT: Sen. “Tax Hike Mike” Roberson (not up until 2018)
- INCUMBENT: Sen. Ben “Blue Dog” Kieckhefer (not up until 2018)
- INCUMBENT: Sen. Joe Hardy (not up until 2018)
- INCUMBENT: Sen. Patricia Farley (not up until 2018)
- INCUMBENT: Sen. Becky Harris (not up until 2018)